Get a Licence Before Opening
When you're caught up in the excitement of starting a new business, it's easy to ignore the need for licences and permits. However, licences and permits are mandatory, and before you can legally begin to operate your business, you need to have all its licences and permits in place. Additionally, if your business has employees or sells taxable goods or services, you need to register with the taxing authorities.
Anyone operating a business in Chestermere must obtain a business licence. This includes:
- Businesses in their own building
- Businesses leasing space from another company
- Businesses who are contracted to do work in Chestermere
- Home Businesses will also need a home occupation permit
Why are Business Licences Required?
Licenses are required for two main purposes:
- To identify your business and make sure you are accountable for your actions
- To protect the public health and safety
Obtaining a Business Licence
To obtain your business licence:
- Fill out the new business licence application or the business licence renewal form. Please take a look at the Business License Classification Reference Chart to determine how to classify your business as per the section that asks for the “nature of your business."
- Sign it and return to the Municipal Office with your payment
- The receptionists will process your application and provide you with a licence and receipt
- For more information on business licences, you can read our business licence bylaw
Note: Licences expire December 31 of each year. Payment for licences for the year are due January 31.
The fees for a business licence are as per Schedule A of the Bylaw:
|Licence Type||Annual Fee||After July 1||After October 1|
|Chestermere Business: Commercial Premise||$150||$75||$40|
|Chestermere Business: Major Home Business||$100||$50||$25|
|Chestermere Business: Minor Home Business||$50||$25||$15|
|Non - Chestermere Business||$300||$150||$75|
Other Types of Licences
|3 Consecutive Days||$70|
|7 Consecutive Days||$90|
|30 Consecutive Days||$120|
|Seasonal 4 Month (consecutive)||$150|
|Change of business type, ownership, or name||$50|
|Appeal of refusal, revocation, or suspension||$50|