Non-Residential & Multi-Family Permits

Permit Guidelines

Please refer to the following guidelines and requirements when applying for commercial / institutional / industrial permits.


Application for Occupancy (AFO) must be submitted together with the permit application package. Other Safety Codes permits such as Building, Electrical, and Plumbing or Gas maybe required depending on the type of work.

Permit Application Processes and Packages 

Commercial, Industrial, Institutional and Multi-Family

(Non- Residential Development)

Heating, Ventilation or Air Conditioning (HVAC)

New Commercial Unit or Change of Use

A new unit/bay within a commercial building which is to be developed for the intended use of space (i.e. retail store, child care facility, personal service establishment, etc.).

A Change of Use is when a commercial unit is change from one use to another, like retail store to restaurant OR vacant to personal service establishment.


A permit is required depending on the type of sign. More information about signage under Land-Use Bylaw 022-10 can be found here.

Looking for building, electrical, gas, plumbing, fireplace or PSDS permits? Go to Safety Codes Permits.