Residents of southwest Chestermere will soon have more neighbours and new features to explore as the Outline Plan for Waterford Stage 1 has now been passed by City Council.
Waterford is located on the west side of Rainbow Road just north of Township Road 240 in the City’s far southwest lands. It is 191 acres and at completion, will be home to approximately 4800 new residents.
“There is still a ways to go before shovels get in the ground, but we are very pleased with the work done to date on the Waterford area. Once it’s finished, it will bring some much needed commercial land and new community amenities to Chestermere,” says Mayor Marshall Chalmers.
Some of these amenities include:
- A local commercial district
- Extensive walking trails
- A new K-9 School
- A storm pond and a waterfront promenade adjacent to the commercial area
- A new Protective Services Building
- A variety of housing options including live-work units, secondary suites and multi-dwelling projects
- New back to back townhouses
“We are pleased that the developer incorporated almost 5 acres of land for commercial which supports our goal of increasing the non-residential tax base,” says Mayor Chalmers.
Now that the Outline Plan has been approved, the developer can begin submitting Subdivision Plans which the City expects by the end of the year.