The Roads and Stormwater Team is responsible for:
- Snow Maintenance
- Street Sweeping
- Gravel Road Maintenance including grading and dust control
- Street Signs
- Illegal Dumping clean-up on city-owned property
- Road Weight Restrictions (Road Bans)
- Curb, Gutter, Median and Sidewalk maintenance
- Line Painting
- Bridge Maintenance (surface cleaning)
- Pothole Repair
- Catch Basin (also known as storm drain) maintenance
- Storm Pond, Vault, Stormceptor and Outfall maintenance
Note: This excludes areas under developer control. Check the Street Sweeping Map to see areas currently under developer control.
If it’s safe and possible to do, you may clear ice and snow that’s blocking your catch basin (also known as a storm drain) to help water flow. If you are unable to clear the ice and snow yourself, please email or call Community Operations at 403-207-2807.
Do not attempt to clean a catch basin if submerged in water. You cannot be sure if the grate is intact, presenting a safety risk. If the drain is covered in water, please email or call Community Operations at 403-207-2807.
Pooled water on your street
In some areas, we install inlet control devices in the drain to control how fast water flows. They are designed to keep water on the road until the system can accept the extra water.
The flooding on your street will eventually drain once water volumes lower - this can take up to 2 hours after heavy rain has ended. These devices prevent the storm system from being overwhelmed causing water backups, flooding to houses, garages and businesses.