Get a License Before Opening
Before you can legally begin to operate your business, you need to have all your licenses and permits in place. Additionally, if your business has employees or sells taxable goods or services, you need to register with the taxing authorities.
Anyone operating a business in Chestermere must obtain a business license. This includes:
- Businesses in their own building
- Businesses leasing space from another company
- Businesses who are contracted to do work in Chestermere
- Home Businesses will also need a home occupation permit
You MUST contact the City's Planning Department to secure the appropriate permits BEFORE submitting a Business License Application. Visit this link to learn more or call (403) 207-7075, or email firstname.lastname@example.orgNote: Licenses expire December 31 of each year. Payment for licenses for the year are due January 31.
Obtaining a Business License
To obtain your business license:
- Fill out the new business license application or the business license renewal form. Please take a look at the Business License Classification Reference Chart to determine how to classify your business as per the section that asks for the “nature of your business."
- There are two form options, one to pay online with PayPal and another to pay with cheque, credit or debit.
- The receptionists will process your application and provide you with a license and receipt
- For more information on business licences, you can read our business license bylaw
Why are Business Licenses Required?
Licenses are required for two main purposes:
- To identify your business and make sure you are accountable for your actions
- To protect the public health and safety
The fees for a business license are as per Schedule A of the Bylaw:
|License Type||Annual Fee||After July 1||After October 1|
|Chestermere Business: Commercial Premise||$150||$75||$40|
|Chestermere Business: Major Home Business||$100||$50||$25|
|Chestermere Business: Minor Home Business||$50||$25||$15|
|Non - Chestermere Business||$300||$150||$75|
Other Types of Licenses
|3 Consecutive Days||$70|
|7 Consecutive Days||$90|
|30 Consecutive Days||$120|
|Seasonal 4 Month (consecutive)||$150|
|Change of business type, ownership, or name||$50|
|Appeal of refusal, revocation, or suspension||$50|
Application and Renewal Forms:
- Commercial Premise
- Major Home Business
- Minor Home Business
- Non-Chestermere Business
- Temporary, Seasonal or Other Business