One Time Tax Payment Option
COVID-19 Property Tax Payment Deferral
Typically, residents of the City of Chestermere pay their taxes monthly or in a lump sum by July 31. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City is offering a tax deferral program. The tax deferral program means that if you pay by lump sum, you have until September 1, 2020 to pay your taxes without incurring late fees or interest. If you pay monthly, you can defer your monthly payments until September 1, 2020 without incurring late fees or interest.
To apply to defer your payments, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-207-7050, make sure to provide your first and last name, address and cell number.
The City will send a confirmation that your request has been received. The City will be in touch in August to work out a payment plan for re-starting your TIPP payments on September 15th, for your annual 2020 taxes.
Important Condition: If you lease or rent the property to which this deferral applies, you are required to grant a deferral to the tenant(s) in the same manner. If you do not grant a deferral to the tenant(s), this deferral will cease and you will be responsible for making all payments, including interest and penalties, as if this deferral had not been granted. For more details, read this PDF.
One Time Tax Payment Methods:
- In Person at City Hall (105 Marina Road, Chestermere, AB, T1X 1V7):
- You can pay by cash, debit or cheque in person at the Municipal Office l during regular office hours (Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30pm). cheques payable to: CITY OF CHESTERMERE. Credit cards will not be accepted. (NOTE: City Hall is currently closed due to the COVID-19 Pandemic)
- You can also drop off your payment in the secured drop box after hours (located on the south side of the building).
- Via Electronic banking (phone or online):
- Please ensure the PAYEE is ‘CHESTERMERE TAXES’. If your payee is ‘Chestermere Utilities’, we will not receive the payment (may need to set up a new account)
- By mail
- Payments through the mail will be applied to the tax accounts on the date of the postmark stamped on the envelope by Canada Post.
- Please note that the City of Chestermere is not responsible for lost or misdirected mail
Other Payment Information:
- Cheques must be made payable to the CITY OF CHESTERMERE.
- Post-dated cheques will be accepted. However, payments made after the due date will have penalties applied.
- Cheques are a conditional payment until the bank upon which it is drawn honours the cheque. If a cheque is not honoured, penalties and a service charge of $30.00 will be applied.
- Payments will be accepted at any time (subject to penalties).
The Provincial Government has a property tax assistance program for seniors. Visit their website or call 1 (877) 644-9992 to learn more.
Some properties are exempt from taxes (including some non-profits and community groups). Find out more here.