Election Day is October 18, 2021.
More information about election day polling locations, advance voting days, special ballots and mail-in ballots will be listed here soon.
Who Can Vote
To vote in the Chestermere municipal election, you must:
- be at least 18 years of age;
- be a Canadian citizen;
- be an Alberta resident for 6 consecutive months prior to Election Day;
- have your place of residence* located in the City of Chestermere on Election Day;
- Show ID to verify your name and address. (See below for acceptable forms of identification or read more about the Voter Identification Bylaw here); and
- Complete a statement that you are eligible to vote in that election and that you have not voted anywhere else.
* Residence is defined by the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) as 'the place where the person lives and sleeps and to which, when the person is absent, the person intends to return'. If you need more information on the rules of residence, please see section 48 of the LAEA.
Acceptable Voter Identification
The Role of Municipalities
The Municipal Government Act gives municipalities in Alberta the authority to exist and govern their communities. It states that the purposes of municipalities are to:
- To provide good government.
- To provide services, facilities or other things that, in the opinion of council, are necessary or desirable for all or a part of the municipality.
- To develop safe and viable communities.
An elected Council establishes policy for the municipality. Council makes decisions in the form of bylaws or resolutions that receive a majority vote by members of Council. The Mayor does not have a veto for decisions.
Administration implements the policy direction of City Council.
- Building & Development Permits
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Community Programs for toddlers, youth, adults and seniors
- Community Support Services
- Economic Development
- Emergency Management
- Fire Services
- Garbage & Recycling
- Municipal Projects
- Parks & Pathways
- Long term Planning & Development
- Road Repair & Maintenance