Resources for Candidates
2017 Election Prospective Candidate Information Package
This package includes the following documents and items.
Printed copies are also available for pickup at City Hall.
2017 Chestermere's Guide for Prospective Candidates.
- This package covers some general information on what it means to be a Councillor, the role of a Councillor, Councillor salaries, the difference between the Mayor and Councillors and some general campaign rules. Please note that this package is subject to change.
- Running for Municipal Office in Alberta (provided by Municipal Affairs)
- Pecuniary Interest for Municipal Councillors (provided by Municipal Affairs)
- Roles and Responsibilities of Council vs. Administration: Courtesy Dr. Gordon McIntosh, Local Government Leadership Institute
- Maps of Chestermere
- Prospective Candidate Calendar
- Prospective Candidate Quick Links
- Application for Registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office
- Nomination Paper and Candidate's Acceptance (Please note that in Chestermere, 10 signatures are required)
- Campaign Disclosure Statement and Financial Statement
- Contact Information Form
- Affairs Election Information Site: This website offers election resources for candidates from Municipal Affairs.
- Ready for Her: A guide for women running for municipal office (Municipal Affairs)
- Event: September 11 in Big Valley: Supporting women in local government AUMA Campaign School
- What are the duties of an Official Agent? Is an Official Agent required?
- I have received an anonymous donation. How do I account for this?
- What are the residency requirements for candidates?
- Can a candidate put up campaign signage prior to Nomination Day?
- Do I have to fill out a Notice of Intent?
- Can I fax or email my nomination paper?
- Do I get my nomination deposit back?
- How many signatures are required on my nomination papers?
- I’m not around on nomination day. Can I file my nomination papers earlier?
- Is it possible to withdraw my nomination?
- What are allowable election campaign expenses?
- Are you allowed to campaign inside, outside or near a voting station on election day?