Spring is underway, and though wet weather is still in the forecast, plans are being made to reopen the Chestermere Family Bike Park next week (weather dependent).
“The Chestermere Family Bike Park is one of our community’s most popular amenities,” says Rick Van Gelder, the City of Chestermere Parks Manager. “We are currently working to get the park ready to welcome back visitors for a safe and fun family experience.”
The Bike Park is closed over the winter as freezing and wet conditions make the tracks prone to damage and unsafe for riders. Even when it starts to warm up in the early spring, it still takes several weeks for the dirt tracks to sufficiently dry out.
“Staff and volunteers spend a lot of time repairing runs, jumps and tracks after the winter to ensure that the park is safe and in the best condition. We appreciate the patience of our community as they wait for the park to reopen. After we evaluate the impact of the snow expected this weekend, we will be able to set a specific reopening date,” says Van Gelder.
Due to COVID-19, the Bike Park will also have signage and a maximum capacity limit to keep visitors safe.
Bike Park COVID-19 Protocols include:
- Visitors may not enter the park if they have any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Visitors may not enter the park if they have been a close contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- All visitors, including riders and spectators, must stay 6 feet (approximately 1 bike length) away from other riders.
- Groups of people may not gather or congregate at the top of the flow trail runs.
- Visitors are not to share any items with those outside of their household.
- All visitors must follow the directions of Bike Park Staff.
To ensure that the Chestermere Family Bike Park is a safe place and does not become a spreader site, the RCMP and Chestermere Peace Officers will be patrolling the park frequently this summer to ensure visitors are practicing proper physical distancing.
Follow the Chestermere Family Bike Park on Facebook to watch for a specific reopening date next week!