Notice of Public Hearing - Bylaw 001-22
Amendments to the Direct Control Town Centre Commercial Land Use District DC(TCC)
Pursuant to the provisions of Section 692 of the Municipal Government Act, Chapter M-26 of the Revised Statutes of Alberta, 2000, and amendments thereto, the Council of the City of Chestermere is considering Bylaw 001-22. A public hearing will be held on TUESDAY, February 1, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. during the regular meeting of Council for the below-proposed bylaw.
Public Hearings are scheduled during regular meetings of Council, (unless otherwise noted) visit chestermere.ca/agendas where links to watch the live stream will be posted on the day of the meeting.
Members of the public who wish to provide verbal representation through live teleconferencing during the Public Hearing or written feedback must fill out the form at chestermere.ca/feedback. Written submissions may also be submitted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, address, phone number, which bylaw you are speaking to and whether you are in favour or opposed. Requests for verbal representation must be made by Tuesday, February 1, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. The City will accept written submissions until January 31, 2022, at 12:00 p.m.
This bylaw proposes changes to Chestermere’s Direct Control Town Centre Commercial District DC(TCC) to increase the opportunities for more entertainment-related uses on Site 1 of the DC(TCC) Land Use District. This is proposed to be accomplished via two paths:
- Increase certainty for businesses by having Council delegate their authority to Administration for any change of use applications within existing buildings on Site 1. New buildings would continue to require Council approval. However, if a business owner simply wants to occupy an existing space with an allowed use in the District, then Administration can expedite the approval.
- Adjust the allowed uses on Site 1 to emphasize entertainment-related uses.
View the Proposed Bylaw 001-22 – Amendments to the Direct Control Town Centre Commercial Land Use District DC(TCC)
View a ‘Redlined’ Version of Proposed Bylaw 001-22 indicating the proposed addition/removal of within the Land Use District
View the January 18, 2022 Administration Report
During the discussion of 1st reading of the proposed bylaw, Council passed a resolution requesting feedback on additional changes to the proposed permitted and discretionary uses as follows:
Shift Use(s) from Permitted to Discretionary Uses for Site 1
- Accessory Buildings & Uses
Removed entirely from the Permitted and Discretionary Uses for Site 1
- Animal Health Care Service
- Child Care Facility
- Commercial School or College (on the main floor)
- Financial Institution
- Government Service
- Health Care Service (on the main floor)
- Household Repair Service
- Medical Clinic (on the main floor)
- Office (on the main floor)
- Pet Care Service
- Place of Worship
- Residential Care Facility (on the main floor)
At the February 1, 2022, Council Meeting, Administration will provide an introductory presentation and answer any clarification questions from Council, including discussions around the additional proposed changes noted above. Following that discussion, Council will convene the Public Hearing. Following the Public Hearing, Council may decide on the proposed bylaw or defer their decision to a subsequent Council meeting.