Proposed Land Use Amendment to the Chelsea Outline Plan and Land Use Bylaw - From Low Rise Multi-Unit Residential District (R-4) to a Direct Control (Residential Multi-Unit) District (DC(R-3)) and Public Services District (PS)
Pursuant to the provisions of Section 692 of the Municipal Government Act, Chapter M-26 of the Revised Statutes of Alberta, 2000, and amendments thereto, the Council of the City of Chestermere is considering Bylaw 012-22. A public hearing will be held on Tuesday, April 5, 2022 at 9:30 a.m. during the Regular Meeting of Council for the below-proposed bylaw. Visit chestermere.ca/agendas where links to watch the live stream will be posted on the day of the meeting.
Members of the public who wish to provide verbal representation through live teleconferencing during the Public Hearing or written feedback must fill out the form at chestermere.ca/feedback. Written submissions may also be submitted by emailing email@example.com with your name, address, phone number, which bylaw you are speaking to and whether you are in favour or opposed. Requests for verbal representation must be made by Tuesday, March 29, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. The City will accept written submissions until 12:00 p.m. on Monday, April 4, 2022. The Mayor will address you to speak once you are on the line. Individuals will have a maximum of five minutes to make their representation.
This bylaw proposes an amendment to the Chelsea Outline Plan and Land Use Bylaw to provide medium density fee simple housing options to the community of Chelsea. The proposed bylaw is to be accomplished via the following amendments:
- An amendment to the Chelsea Outline Plan to add a new public road and publicly maintained open space; and
- A land use redesignation from a Low Rise Multi-Unit Residential District (R-4) to a Direct Control (Residential Multi-Unit) District (DC(R-3)) and Public Services District (PS) affecting 2.84 hectares, as indicated below.
3. The applicant is proposing a new Residential Multi-Unit Direct Control (DC(R-3)) District based on the Residential Multi Unit District (R-3) land use. The DC(R-3) will include the following guidelines:
- All lots that abut Merganser Dr W. shall treat the area between Merganser Dr W. and dwelling units as a front yard and include the following:
- Primary entrances for units directly fronting Merganser Dr W.
- No fences greater than 1.0 m in height within the front yard of the site
- Walkways that connect each unit to the public sidewalk adjacent Merganser Dr W.
- Decisions on subdivision applications and all Development Permit applications in the Direct Control Residential Multi-Unit District DC(R-3) may be made by the Development Officer.
View the March 15, 2022 First Reading Administration Report for Bylaw Reading 012-22
View the March 15, 2022 Proposed Bylaw 012-22 – Amendment to the Chelsea Outline Plan and Land Use Bylaw
View the Land Use Change Policy and Regulation Review for Bylaw 012-22
View the Proposed Amended Chelsea Outline Plan
View the Chelsea Outline Plan Amendment – Existing/Amended Excerpts
At the April 5, 2022, Regular Meeting of Council, Administration will provide an introductory presentation and answer any clarification questions from Council, including discussions around the additional proposed changes noted above. Following that discussion, Council will convene the Public Hearing. Following the Public Hearing, Council may decide on the proposed bylaw or defer their decision to a subsequent Council meeting.