UPDATE: June 14
Although we've seen considerable rain in the last 24 hours, with more to come today, the City of Chestermere stormwater drains, culverts and storm ponds have been doing their job and successfully keeping excess rainwater where it should be.
We have not experienced any overland flooding at this time.
The Chestermere Fire Department and City crews have been monitoring the situation overnight and will continue to do so. We will update residents should anything change.
June 13, 2022
Although Chestermere is not currently under any special weather statements or warnings from Environment Canada, we are scheduled to receive a higher and heavier than normal rainfall in the coming days.
Last year the City of Chestermere upgraded stormwater mains, catch basins, and overland drainage around the City to ensure our systems can properly handle significant rain events, function at optimal capacity, and eliminate rainwater pooling on roads or private property.
However, we encourage residents to prepare ahead of time to ensure they stay safe and dry by:
- ️Making sure downspouts and rain barrels are extended and pointed away from your foundation walls – ideally towards the front or back of your property;
- Testing your sump pump (if you have one) to ensure it is working correctly;
- Keeping clear of storm ponds and culverts as water levels and flow may change rapidly;
- Staying off the lake and canals during rain events;
- Clearing out debris from swales and catch basins around your home to ensure water can flow freely; and,
- If there is water accumulating on your street and the catch basin can’t seem to keep up, please monitor it closely. We recommend waiting for 30 minutes or so before calling for assistance. Please do not try to pump water yourself into a different catch basin or manhole. With over 1,000 catch basins around the City, it may need some time to clear the overflow properly.
In the event of water or sewer emergencies, please contact EPCOR at 1-888-775-6677 or Stormwater Emergency at 403-207-2807.
For severe weather information, download the Chestermere Voyent Alert App from the Apple Store or Google Play.
Visit Environment Canada for more information on forecasts affecting the City of Chestermere.