When the fire truck pulled up to the house, black smoke was already billowing from the doors and windows.
Chestermere’s crews jumped from the trucks, put on their masks and headed into the home.
Inside, they found the stove and cabinets ablaze.
Since the homeowners had called 9-1-1 so quickly, firefighters were able to put out the fire before it spread to the rest of the home.
The suspected cause? A grease fire on the stovetop had sparked paper menus and newspapers sitting near the microwave.
“Grease fires are a very common type of kitchen fire we see,” says Joel Fournie, one of Chestermere’s Fire Captains. “Cooking is the number one cause of home fires in Alberta. As you prepare holiday dinners over the next few weeks, it’s important to pay close attention to what you are doing and be extra careful.”
Fournie says that if you are cooking oil or fat and a pot catches fire:
- Turn off the heat immediately.
- Smother the flames by covering the pan with a lid.
- Use baking soda (flour can be explosive) on shallow grease fires.
- Never turn on the overhead fan, as this could spread the fire.
- Never throw water on a grease fire, as an explosive fireball could fill the kitchen.
- Call 911 if you cannot immediately extinguish the fire
He also adds that it’s important to keep all combustibles away from the stove, including tea towels, wooden or plastic spoons and paper towels.
“We hope these tips help ensure you have a safe and fire-free holiday season, but we are here for you 24/7 if you need us.”
Chestermere Fire Services offers home safety surveys to residents who request this service.