Aquatic Invasive Species
What are Aquatic Invasive Species? Aquatic Invasive Species are plants and animals (mussels) that can infest our lake, damage pumps and irrigation systems, and clog boat props. Once established, aquatic invasive species are almost impossible to remove.
Flowering RushFlowering Rush is an invasive aquatic plant, prohibited under both the Alberta Weed Control Act and Fisheries Act and requires removal when found. This plant has started to grow and is spreading in our lake. Increased infestation could take over and interfere with future recreational use such as boating and swimming as well as displace wildlife. Research from Alberta Environment and Parks has shown that the best approach to prevent the spread of flowering rush is to avoid disturbing the plant during the summer season and remove by hand during water drawdown when easily seen and accessible.
What can you do?
- Clean, drain and dry your boat and gear to prevent the spread of invasive species.
- Keep the boat out of the water for at least 30 days to ensure no mussels have survived. If it has not been out of the water for more than 30 days, have your boat inspected. Call 1-855-336-2628 for the nearest inspection site.
- If you see flowering rush, don't try to remove it yourself. Pieces of root can get dislodged and float elsewhere to start new plants. Instead, report its location to Alberta Environment through their invasive species hotline 1-855-336-2628 or through the EDDMAP Alberta smartphone app.
Lakefront HomeownersThe City is looking to partner with residents to properly and safely remove flowering rush from our Lake. Watch this quick video from Nicole Kimmel on how to remove flowering rush during the fall when the lake is lowered. A flowering rush disposal bin is located at the Public Works building. Please contact the Parks Department if you have any questions at 403-207-2807 or email@example.com.
Information about Chestermere's work on Aquatic Invasive Species
- Read our Chestermere Aquatic Invasive Species watch list for more information on concerns to our lake
- Read about the best methods of controlling Flowering Rush
- "Development Of Best Strategies For The Control Of Butomus umbellatus L. (Flowering Rush) In Alberta". Lisa Cahoon, University of Calgary
General Resources & Information
- Information brochure for how to clean, drain & dry your boat & equipment
- Video of the Dangers of Invasive Species
- Video on how to clean your boat
- Information Brochure on protective Alberta's Irrigation System